Noble, OK 73068
Bicycle SafetyHome » Departments » Public Safety » Police Department » Bicycle Safety
The Noble Police Department would like to present bicycle safety for the citizens of Noble! Regardless of age, here are some tips to keep you safe and out enjoying your neighborhood!
1. Obey Traffic Regulations- Bicycles must be driven according to the same laws that all motor vehicle operators adhere to.
2. Never Ride Against Traffic- Ride with traffic to avoid accidents. REMEMBER- Pedestrians walk against traffic and bicyclist ride WITH traffic.
3. Use Hand Signals- Signal all turns and stops ahead of time. Look over your shoulder for any traffic, and then make your intended move only when it is safe to do so.
4. Make Eye Contact- Confirm that you are seen!! Establish eye contact with motorists to insure that they know you are on the roadway.
5. Beware of Car Doors- Take notice of parked cars. Motorists can unexpectantly open car doors. Be particularly careful if you see a motorist in the car. Ride a car’s door width away.
6. Scan the Road Behind- Look over your shoulder regularly or use a mirror to monitor traffic. Although bicycles have equal right to the road, but be prepared to maneuver around for safety.
7. Be Careful at Intersections- The majority of accidents happen at intersections. Proceed with care. Vehicles making turns are particularly dangerous.
8. Ride In a Straight Path- Avoid dodging between parked cars. Ride in a straight line at least three feet away from parked cars. Watch out for cars pulling out of parking places.
REMEMBER!!!! More than one-third of all bicyclist deaths occur among school age youth, ages 5 to 20.