Parks & Recreation
The City of Noble obtained an eleven-acre parcel of land at 1400 S. Main Street in the 1960s largely through the efforts of long time Planning Commissioner, Mr. Slim Riley. The tract was expanded by a Recreational Trail Grant in 2003 to include one mile of lighted asphalt walking trails, a large covered picnic pavilion, restrooms, park benches, picnic tables and barbeque pits and paved parking. This renovated park which has some of the largest trees in Noble and is traversed by Berry Creek and unusual topography has become a source of pride for the community and is well used day and night.
Riley Park is one of two important historical sites in Noble. The abandoned Santa Fe Railroad Bridge located at the far west end of the park was part of the original railroad built in 1887. This railroad facilitated the land run of 1889 when Noble was founded. Eventually the tracks were moved farther to the west and this site was abandoned. The original stone and brickwork are still in place to showcase the construction styles of the late 1800s.
Dane Park is located at 501 S. 8th Street in Noble. The five acre tract was donated to the City by Paul Dane and is home to the new Austin Haley’s Splash Pad. The new water facility was constructed by City employees and is open during the summer months. The Dane Park master plan includes a hard surface, lighted walking trail, a community garden area, picnic tables, a skateboard facility, a pavilion, and restrooms.
Dane Park is the south connecting point at Oak Street and S. 8th Street to the new KATS (Kids Active Transportation System) safe routes to school walking trail. The Dane Park walking trail will also be a connecting point under Maguire Road to the new Kenneth L. King Park which will have one mile of lighted walking trails and a new disc golf course.
In 2007 the City of Noble constructed the city’s first water recreation facility. Working with the Noble Park Commission and the Noble Now Foundation, the City constructed a 5000 square feet splash pad located in Dane Park, 501 S. 8th Street in Noble.
The Splash pad which was named in honor of Austin Hailey is officially called “Austin’s Big Splash”. The pad was opened in May of 2007 and has been well attended. Multi colored surface covered with beautiful geographic designs is fitted with state of the art nozzles that squirt water when set off by a manual activator. Park benches have been placed around the splash pad to accommodate visitors who stay for hours. The City is planning to add features that include water cannons and spilling buckets.
The splash pad is opened in May of each year and is available six days per week (It is closed on Tuesdays for maintenance) until after Labor Day. There is no charge to the participants and there is no age limit.
The Splash pad was part of the master plan to develop Dane Park into a children’s park that included a playground area, a skateboard park, picnic tables, a pavilion, and restrooms. The plan also added a community garden area that may be reserved by Noble residents to grow fresh vegetables and flowers and a lighted walking track that connects on the south to Kenneth L. King Park.
In 2007, a twenty acre tract owned by the Noble Industrial Trust was deeded to the City of Noble to be used as a park. The late Kenneth L. King, a long time owner of First State Bank of Noble was chairman of the Industrial Trust. Successor Trustees donated the tract to the City with the condition that it be named Kenneth L. King Park.
The City has been awarded a Recreational Trail Grant to be used on this site. Improvements will be constructed during the 2009 year. The Park which is located at 1000 E. Maguire Road will connect under Maguire Rd to Dane Park and will include a one mile asphalted, lighted walking track; restrooms, a pavilion, paved parking, and a disc golf course.
The City of Noble has constructed Kenneth L. King Park during 2009. The twenty-acre park (1000 E. Maguire Rd.) is located immediately west of Hubbard Elementary School. The park is a rustic, heavily wooded nature park that contains a one mile hard surface, lighted walking trail. It is also be home to an 18 hole disc golf course that is financed and maintained entirely with volunteer labor.
The City of Noble is in process of constructing a group of walking tails and sidewalks that will make Noble more walkable.
In 2003 Noble completed the Riley Park Recreational Trail located at 1400 N. Main Street. This one mile long hard-surface lighted trail utilizes the densely wooded area around Berry Creek and the historic old abandoned Santa Fe railroad bridge. The facilities include a large picnic pavilion, playground and restrooms.
In 2009 the City was awarded a federal grant to construct 1.7 miles of SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL sidewalks connecting the middle school on N. 8th Street to Dane Park at 525 S. 8th Street. This sidewalk provides access to Pioneer Elementary, the Noble Public Library, the Noble Administration Building and K.I.D. Elementary. The City is pursuing additional funding to extend the SRTS Sidewalk to the High School.
In 2009 the City received a federal Recreational Trail Grant to construct a ¾ mile long, hard- surface, lighted trail at Kenneth King Park, a 20 acre site located at 1000 E. Maguire Road. The City also added a picnic pavilion, restrooms, and worked with a local disc golf group to include an 18 hole disc golf course in the heavily wooded park. The residential subdivision located just south of the park has dedicated common areas and park property to extend the trail to near the city’s south border.
In 2017 the City has applied for a federal Recreational Trail Grant which would place a hard surface, lighted trail in Dane Park that would connect by a crosswalk to Kenneth King Park on the south and the SRTS sidewalk on the NW corner of Dane Park. Dane Park has been designated as a children’s park and a Splash Pad, a Skateboard Trail, a picnic area, a community garden, restrooms, and a covered pavilion have been added. The proposed Recreational Trail would traverse the park. The City also is planning a playground area.
Senior Citizens Center
The Community of Noble has a functioning Senior Citizens Association and Senior Citizens Center. The Center is located at 606 Maguire E. Road in Noble, on the SE Corner of Maguire Road and Hwy 77 (Main Street).
The Senior Citizens Center has a kitchen, cafeteria, and meeting areas, and is open to the public from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM Monday through Friday. Aging Services, Inc. of Cleveland County has an agreement with the Noble Senior Citizens of Noble, Inc. to provide a meal during the hours of 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Monday through Friday to people 60 years and older. There is a suggested (but not required) donation of $2.00 for the meals. It is requested that you contact the center to give a 24 hour notice of your intent to attend the luncheon. The Aging Services, Inc. also takes meals to the homebound on a daily basis. Rhonda Freeman is the site manager and may be contacted at 405-872-5921.
The Senior Citizens Association annually elects officers and plans a variety of activities. Currently the Association hosts a music jamboree and potluck supper the first Friday Night of each month from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. The City of Noble owns and maintains the facility and has future plans to improve to site.